Skip to content

When Someone Dies

Who to Inform

People That Should Be Informed

  • Relatives and friends
  • Employers/School
  • Solicitor/Accountant
  • National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self – employed (to cancel payments)
  • Landlord or Local Authority if the deceased rented their property
  • Local Authority if the deceased paid Council Tax, had a parking permit, was issued with a Blue Badge for disabled parking, received social services help, or attended day care

Financial Considerations

  • Any private organisation/agency providing home help
  • General insurance companies – house contents, car, travel, medical etc
  • Bank/Building Society
  • Mortgage provider
  • Hire purchase or loan companies
  • Credit card providers/Store cards
  • Utility companies, if accounts were in the deceased’s name


  • TV / Internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions
  • Royal Mail, if mail needs re-directing
  • UK Passport Agency, to return and cancel a passport
  • Social groups to which the deceased belonged
  • Dentist
  • Creditors – anyone to whom the deceased owed money
  • Debtors – anyone who owed the deceased money

Things that May Need To Be Returned

  • Order books/benefits
  • Registration documents for the deceased’s car (if necessary)
  • Season ticket and membership cards of any clubs or associations, as a refund may be due
  • Benefit/pension books and any unused cheques/ vouchers should be returned to the benefit’s office

How To Let People Know

  • Through our website
  • Local/National Newspapers
  • Radio